During the academic year, Trading Spaces is the way that current on-campus students request a room change for that semester. Each term, it begins shortly after add/drop ends and vacancies have been confirmed.
Except in areas where we currently have vacancies, Trading Spaces identifies students to swap room assignments with each other.
Many types of trades are possible within or between Learning Communities. All trades are managed by ResLife staff. We take care of determining possible trades and offering them; you do not need to explore or find trades on your own.
THE MOST COMMON TRADES
Many types of trades are possible, but some are more likely to occur than others, based on capacity and interest.
The most common trades are:
- Moving from a space in your current Learning Community to a space in a different Learning Community (e.g., Sustainability to Leadership and Social Change)
- Moving from a space in your current Learning Community to a different space in the same Learning Community (e.g., Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Mason to Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Hamilton)
HOW TRADING SPACES WORKS
- Complete a Trading Spaces Request form available online in the housing portal. There will be one form available to request any type of trade, and only one submission of the form for different Learning Communities is possible.
- Except in areas where we currently have vacancies, ResLife will identify pairs of people to trade spaces. Because Learning Community sizes are fixed, these must be body-for-body swaps.
- Offers are sent via UVM email, so be sure to check your email often.
- To provide room trades to as many students as possible, offers are only valid for two business days.
- ?Room trades that do not follow this process are not allowed and will not be approved.
OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- Because the add/drop deadline has passed, if you trade from one Learning Community into another, you will remain enrolled in the one-credit (or three-credit) course associated with your original Learning Community. If you have questions about course enrollment, please contact your academic advisor.
- Learning Community choices and their locations vary for returning students and new first year students. Except for Learning Communities where class years are co-located, not all Learning Community locations are available to all students.
- Students are not eligible for trades into the Honors College or Liberal Arts Scholars Programs unless they are members of those academic programs.? Student are not eligible for trades into the Wellness Environment unless they are enrolled in (or have already taken) COMU001: Healthy Brains, Healthy Bodies.
- Based on size and level of interest, trading spaces to some communities is more likely than others. For example, some Learning Communities are very full and trades into those areas may be limited. If there are other Learning Communities you will consider, the likelihood of a trade there may be greater.
- Pull-ins do not require a trading spaces request. These are cases where there is one vacancy in a double-occupancy room. Whenever possible, the remaining student in the room will be notified that they have 48 hours (one to two business days) to identify a preferred roommate to pull into that space. Students cannot be pulled into the Wellness Environment unless they are in (or have already taken) COMU001: Healthy Brains, Healthy Bodies.
SUBMITTING A TRADING SPACES REQUEST
Submit one trading spaces request. or check to see if you already have one:
- Login to the housing portal and then click on Fall 2020 Trading Spaces.
- Make sure to “Save” to submit your request.
Once you have submitted the request you will not be able to edit or delete it, or submit multiple requests.
The request form will ask for:
- Your preferred Learning Community
- The NetID of your preferred roommate
- If you are willing to accept a trade without your preferred roommate(s)
- Any other important details
RECEIVING A TRADING SPACES OFFER
- To provide room trades to as many students as possible, offers are only valid for two business days, and are sent via UVM email. Be sure to check your email often!
- If all students accept the trade, we will change your room assignment.
- If you accept a trade but the other person does not, your request will remain active and we will continue to work on a trade for you.
- If you receive an offer but do not accept or respond to it, the offer will expire and you will not receive another one until all students who request a trade have received an offer.
TRADING SPACES TIMELINE
- Sept. 16 to Oct. 30: Trading Spaces requests can be submitted through the housing portal.
- November 1-13: ResLife staff will continue to offer trades as space permits based on requests submitted prior to the Oct. 30th deadline.
- After November 13th: The Trading Spaces process will conclude and all requests will be expired. Residents can submit a new Trading Spaces request in the spring semester.